Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Immanuel: “God with us”



On Sunday we heard just briefly about a man named Brother Lawrence, a lay brother who served in a monastery in the early 1600s. I happened to write his name down because I didn’t realize that “lay people” would choose to live in a monastery (the silence! the lack of technology!) and I wanted to learn more about him. A quick Google search didn’t reveal much about Brother Lawrence, but it did lead me to a group of people known as the Discalced Carmelites. The Discalced Carmelites stem from the Desert Fathers and Mothers, and these are men and women who have dedicated their lives to prayer and contemplation (I say again, the silence! the lack of technology!). Brother Lawrence was a Carmelite. It should come as no surprise then, that Brother Lawrence felt himself to be keenly attuned to the presence of God. His writings in Practicing the Presence of God have been used for hundreds of years by those who desire to recognize and acknowledge God in the mundane moments of life.

Brother Lawrence’s work in the monastery was neither glamorous nor profound. He spent most of his days mopping floors and working in the kitchen; however, in all of his work, Brother Lawrence focused upon living in the presence of God. This discipline—the ability to commune with God in any circumstance—is one that most modern Christians have failed to cultivate.

Modern Christians are taught to spend time daily with God, but Brother Lawrence taught himself to spend every moment of the day with God. I will admit that I am not very practiced when it comes to experiencing the presence of God. I tend to move quickly and impulsively. It is entirely counter to my nature to sit quietly and to reflect on God. The monastic way of life bears little appeal for me—I don’t want to get up early, to pray continuously, to live cut off from the rest of the world, to live a life of regimented devotion.
Like almost every other modern Christian, however, I could surely benefit from some quiet and reflective time. I could benefit from more time in the Bible, from a structure that would in time come as habitually and naturally to me as the morning cup(s) of coffee or the evening television show(s) before bed. Brother Lawrence suggests that becoming aware of “God with us” requires such intense focus, that not even work, family, or friends should interfere with our continual audience with God. Although this is likely unrealistic for most of us, we can of course cultivate the habits of practicing Immanuel, and what better time than during advent to do so?

Practicing Immanuel can be as simple as thanking God for 5 blessings each day, and ending each one with “God is here.” And it can be as simple as making 5 requests, on your behalf or others’, and ending each one with “Jesus, Immanuel.”

Here are some of mine:
Thank you, God, for my husband and my children. God is here.
Thank you, God, for safety on slippery roads. God is here.
Thank you, God, for education. God is here.
Thank you, God, for Christmas. God is here.
Thank you, God, for salvation. God is here.

God, I pray for students in the midst of exams and final papers. Jesus, Immanuel.
God, I pray for those who will be missing loved ones at Christmas this year. Jesus, Immanuel.
God, I pray for healing for Eric Westra. Jesus, Immanuel.
God, I pray for those who do not have enough during this Christmastime. Jesus, Immanuel.
God, I pray for those who do not yet call you Savior. Jesus, Immanuel. 



[Kristin vanEyk lives and writes in Kentwood, MI, where she waits impatiently for Christmas while learning the meaning of advent.]




No comments:

Post a Comment