Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Driving Like Jesus

[The Midweek Encounter is a ministry of Encounter Church in Kentwood, MI. These posts are reflections on Sunday's message, which can be heard here each week: http://myencounterchurch.org/#/messages-media]

As a young Christian, I wasn’t sure how to share my faith. At one point, I made a friend who went to the mall to “witness to people.” While I’m not sure exactly what her plan was, I had some confused feelings about the idea. I felt guilty, because I wasn’t out telling everyone I saw about Jesus and making disciples of all nations. But I also felt uncomfortable with the idea of interrupting strangers in the mall and trying to start a conversation about deep, personal, life changing faith. How do you even begin?! “I see you’ve purchased some items at Bath and Body Works – do you need something to clean up your soul, too?”
God calls each of us to uniquely, and He may not call me to start conversations with strangers, but we are all called to share His love and light with the world – with our world.
Growing up, my family had those metal Jesus fish on the backs of our cars (to let people know that we were Christians AND trendy). Upon purchase of my first car – a very awesome (very used) Jetta, my parents got me my very own fish…but I couldn’t bring myself to adhere it permanently to my trunk. As a bad-yet-very-aggressive driver, my road performance does not suggest that I love my neighbors, and I was aware of the hypocrisy of putting a symbol of my faith on a car I would drive like a heathen.
My love-less driving and lack of fish decals continued comfortably for many years; I shared that story and enjoyed people’s laughter. Driving is just one tiny sliver of my life, but my attitude about it was rather symbolic of other areas I’m less than proud of: I make excuses and justifications for actions and behaviors that are less than what God requires. It seems acceptable to get angry with the cable company, or to grow impatient in grocery store line when the person in front of me has questioned the price of five items before offering up four hundred coupons. Sometimes I judge people I don’t know based on superficial things and use that as an excuse not to get to know them, and I don’t like to call it gossip when I share important information about other people. Perhaps you excuse some behaviors too? (Don’t leave me here all alone!)
Maybe these routine, daily challenges are the very situations where God invites us to be salt and light, to be the aroma of Christ; to act in a way that sets us apart from an unbelieving world.
I was convicted about my driving (though not my lack of Jesus fish) one day when I ran into 1 Corinthians 10:31, “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” I’m not sure why driving came to mind, but I did not drive to the glory of God. No one was ever going to lean over through an open car window in traffic and say, “You’re such a patient and generous driver – where do you find that kind of strength in this relentless traffic?” thus allowing me share about our gracious God. Is that a likely scenario? No. But it’s impossible if I drive like I hate everyone.
Do I live my life – especially the regular, routine parts – in a God-reflective, loving way that would make the people I meet ask, “Why is she like that? I wonder what she believes?” Are my actions an invitation for others to see God’s love and grace and desire it in their own lives?! Can my everyday life be set apart from others in the most mundane of moments in a way that is unavoidable to those around me? I want it to!  
“Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits.” (1 Peter 2:12)

[Robin Bupp is married to Caleb, and they are from many places east of the Mississippi (but are calling Michigan home for the foreseeable future). A former high school science teacher, Robin is slowly turning the two Bupp kiddos into tiny nerds while they teach her lots of things, including humility and patience.]

No comments:

Post a Comment