Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Long Enough

 [The Midweek Encounter is a ministry of Encounter Church in Kentwood, MI. These posts are reflections on Sunday's message, which can be heard here each week: http://myencounterchurch.org/#/messages-media]

A few weeks ago, I wrote about my own rough layover: a very special four-hour-two-toddler-post-bedtime-Detroit-airport night of magic. At one point, I caught sight of another passenger at our gate reading magazines, checking her phone, and enjoying an un-shared snack. Her calm, nonchalant attitude was the perfect foil for my frazzled frustration. To see how well someone else was handling a situation I was finding to be increasingly unmanageable gave me...feelings. Feelings of inferiority. Feelings of jealousy. Feeling incompetent to manage the way she was.  

Through the story of the Exodus, we see the people of Israel struggling with the wilderness, with their own layover, while Moses maintains a deep faith and close walk with God, trusting and seeking Him. If I had been an Israelite, I imagine I may have felt my belief was inferior or incompetent compared to Moses’ titanic faith through the wilderness time.


Photo Credit: Flickr user Vanessa Vortex
Many of the stories that we are comfortable and familiar with from the Israelites time leaving Egypt and in the wilderness leave Moses looking like he has super faith: patient in the waiting, taking his complaints to God, leading the people to Him. Did God give Moses an extra dose of faith - like everyone gets one nugget of faith, but Moses got a wheelbarrow full? Or is there more here? Why does his time in the wilderness look so different from everyone else’s? When I was younger, it seems (whether I heard my teachers correctly or not) that people like Moses were held up as examples for us to emulate because they were so impressive. The only problem is...I’m so not Moses. I feel pretty regular, not very super.

In my own life, in seasons of wilderness, I’ve run into people whose faith I admire, but it seems somehow on a completely different level from my own. Sometimes when I’m struggling my way through a layover season (complaining, demanding things from God I just know I need, squirming under discipline instead of learning), I talk with or hear about someone who is just Moses-ing it up in their similar wilderness: joyful and hopeful while I’m angry and frustrated, seeking God while I’m complaining, having peace while I battle. I admire their faith, that deeper, closer walk with God and I wish I were the same. But, as with Moses, I seem to ascribe their closeness to just a “better” faith, leaving me attempting to pull myself up by my bootstraps and “do better.” The cynic inside me has doubted that I would ever have a heart that seeks God the way theirs does.

Pastor Dirk reminded us this week that Moses didn’t just show up with this faith. Moses had already been in the wilderness, long before the forty years he would spend there with the Israelites. He had already met God and listened to Him in a period of life that wasn’t what he had intended or planned: his own layover. I tend to only think of Moses as an uber-faith-person; I forget that he was a murderer on the run, hiding and fearful, who needed to be restored and matured. Yet God grew Moses in the same ways He would grow Israel and that He grows us: in the layover, in the wilderness, in the waiting.

Over the last few weeks, we've heard encouragement about these biblical seasons of layover; but it's still hard to fight the feeling of just wanting to move on! This week we talked about moving on - in God’s time.

When I'm in a literal layover, I just want to get out; any plane to anywhere will do. Right? When God has me in a life layover, I tend to feel the same: praying that God would just end it, move me on, bring me to out of the wilderness and into new things - any new thing will do. But instead of a quick exit, perhaps it’s better to ask, “What is God showing me in this layover? How is He changing me? Where do I need to grow? How can I seek God in this layover instead of trying to hurry out of it?”

It’s in the wilderness that God trains and raises us up; it’s where the Spirit matures us. Instead of growing cynical about my own slow and immature heart when I encounter people who seem as faithful as Moses, I should ask those very people the stories of where they have come from, and find comfort in hearing how God grows us in the hard times.

When God invites me into the times of learning and waiting, I want to find peace in waiting for Him to work in me. Am I learning, growing, letting God shape and mold my heart?

God works in our hearts in the layover, moving us from immaturity to maturity, from slavery to freedom. There’s growth in the layover! When His purposes are accomplished, He will tell us we have stayed long enough, and it’s time to move on.

(Enjoy reflecting with the song Great Things by Elevation Worship!)

[Robin Bupp is married to Caleb, and they are from many places east of the Mississippi (but are calling Michigan home for the foreseeable future). A former high school science teacher, Robin is slowly turning the two Bupp kiddos into tiny nerds while they teach her lots of things, especially humility and patience.]

No comments:

Post a Comment