Thursday, September 1, 2016

Burning the Past: Why God Doesn't Want You to Rely on Plan B

[The Midweek Encounter is a ministry of Encounter Church in Kentwood, MI. These posts are reflections on Sunday's message, which can be heard here each week: http://myencounterchurch.org/#/messages-media]

Since the day we decided to become Christians, our sole concentration has been on the sacrifice that Jesus made for us on the cross. Of course, this is the core of Christianity itself, but we sometimes forget that in order to follow Christ, we must make sacrifices of our own. When each of the twelve apostles were hand-picked by Jesus, they left every shred of their former lives behind without hesitation: their livelihoods, their friends, and their families. All fall-back options were eliminated. Matthew lost all stability when he forfeited his position as a tax collector. Peter and Andrew abandoned their safety nets (literally) when they left their fishing nets to follow Jesus.
This pattern can be traced back to the Old Testament as well, long before Jesus walked the earth. In 1 Kings 19:19-21, the prophet Elijah approached Elisha, a farmer who was plowing his field with his oxen. Elijah threw his cloak around Elisha's shoulders, which signaled that Elijah was passing on his job as a prophet. Elisha knew immediately who Elijah was and understood the weight of his new responsibility.

Elisha then left his oxen and ran after Elijah. “Let me kiss my father and mother goodbye,” he said, “and then I will come with you.” 1 Kings 19:20

Photo Credit: Johannes Klingebiel
Prophets were somewhat the equivalent to celebrities during Old Testament times, thus Elisha knew very well what the position entailed. It would mean having to travel long distances at a moment's notice. It would mean being physically hungry but being spiritually nourished. It would mean facing persecution, and even in some cases, becoming a fugitive. The hardships of Elisha's predecessors were a stark contrast to the stable life he currently led, so why didn't he just say no to Elijah? Why did Elisha choose the path that was obviously uncomfortable and risky?

We have a voice in how we decide to live our lives: We can be safe and comfortable, or we can venture from our comfort zones to accomplish something through God's power. Sometimes, however, it is not merely enough to leave our comforts behind. If something goes wrong and we panic, our first reaction is to run back to the familiar because it makes us feel safe. Elisha knew that he had to ensure that he wouldn't flee from God's purpose and return to the security of his past life:

So Elisha left him and went back. He took his yoke of oxen and slaughtered them. He burned the plowing equipment to cook the meat and gave it to the people, and they ate. Then he set out to follow Elijah and became his servant. 1 Kings 19:21

When we cut the ties from all of our “just-in-case” back-up plans, it might feel like we are destroying our one safe haven, when in reality there is no safer place than in God's presence. God is more interested in our complete obedience instead of our total understanding. If we are willing to make the sacrifice and surrender our complete trust in Christ, we will not be forsaken. The cost of burning our past might seem immense through our mortal eyes, but the cost of failing to do so is much greater. What sense does it make to sacrifice eternal life with God for the sake of a few comfortable decades in a fallen world?
Photo credit: Roksolana Zasiadko
I'm not saying that we all should minimize our belongings to fill one backpack and leave behind everyone we know and love—I don't believe that is necessarily what God is asking of us. It could mean selling your house and moving to a place where you don't know anyone because you feel that God is calling you to a certain job position. Perhaps it means dissolving ties with toxic people that you've kept up unhealthy relationships with for far too long.

I struggled with cutting for the first half of my undergrad. The act of self-harm had become a means of comfort for me, a security blanket that I always returned to in distressing situations. I had been striving to follow Christ for the majority of those two years, but instead of leaning on God during turbulent times, I would fall back and seek comfort in my acts of self-harm, “just in case” God wouldn't be enough to protect me. Although the process was long and gradual, I eventually realized that I could not remain stagnant if I truly wanted to pursue God's purpose for me.

When I threw out those razor blades for good, there was no going back. There was nothing to go back to. Like Elisha, I had burned my oxen and my fields and all that was familiar. The past had been destroyed and all that is left now is my future with my Father who loves me. 


 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ. Philippians 3:8

[Abby Hocking is a senior at Calvin College, where she studies psychology and writing. She is employed at Pine Rest Christian Mental Services and plans to become a therapist. Abby is a proud literature nerd, running addict, and puppy enthusiast. She thanks God daily for her wonderful family, her loving friends, and for Twenty One Pilots.]

No comments:

Post a Comment