Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Your Work Matters

[The Midweek Encounter is a ministry of Encounter Church in Kentwood, MI. These posts are reflections on Sunday's message, which can be heard here each week: http://myencounterchurch.org/#/messages-media]

The summer after I graduated from college, I had a part-time job that filled 20 hours of my week. Most of the rest of my time was spent sleeping, reading, or watching TV. It was not my finest time of life.

Up until that point, my identity had been that of “Student,” and I was comfortable with it. The Christian schools I attended did a good job of reminding us that being a student was work, and as such, we should approach it as a way to bring honor to God in the way that we learned and studied. Once that goal was gone, my 20 hours of work a week didn’t feel like much, and I was at a loss as to what to do with all my time (besides applying for jobs I was grossly underqualified for). I had lost sight of the fact that God cares about all of our work, whether physical, spiritual, or emotional work, whether it takes place in a classroom, an office, a living room, a backyard, or anywhere else.
Photo Credit: Flickr User Brick Wares, Creative Commons

We often get caught up in thinking God cares very much about what kind of work we’re doing. Sure, he likes it when students study hard, he likes people who work at churches and nonprofits, and he likes when parents read their kids Bible stories. But accounting or scooping ice cream? Filling out job applications and not getting call backs? Sometimes it feels like God probably doesn’t care much about those things.

I love the way The Message translation words Galatians 6:4-5 (emphasis added): “Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.”

We don’t all have the same work to do, but God cares about all the kinds—from the unglamorous tasks like cleaning bathrooms and taking the trash out, to moments that have glimpses of weightier purpose, like reading a bedtime story or bringing a meal to a sick friend. It might be the emotional work of having a difficult conversation, or spiritual work of making sure we’re regularly connecting with God and a Christian community. In God’s eyes, all of this work matters.  Each kind is different, but significant in its own way. He cares much less about the kind of work we do than how we do it.

The book of Proverbs warns us to not be like the sluggard who sits around all day, but to be like the ant who works diligently and prepares for what’s to come. Neglecting or refusing to work comes with very real consequences, whether it’s physically in the form of lack or resources, or spiritually or emotionally in the form of broken relationships or bad decisions. Full-time jobs are great for some people, but they’re not the only way of glorifying God through work.

Whether we recognize it or not, everyday moments of work are ripe with possibility to be holy moments. God’s grace is woven through all that we do. If I could redo the summer after I graduated from college, I would find much better, more productive things to do with my time—whether through volunteering, writing, or the messy work of thinking through how God made me and what that means for his calling on my life. Instead of allowing ourselves to become sluggards, any of those options and so many more can become powerful ways of glorifying God through our good work.

[Brianna DeWitt believes in Jesus, surrounding yourself with good people, and that desserts are best when they involve chocolate and peanut butter. She writes about faith, growing up, and whatever else pops into her head on her own blog, and tweets (largely about food) at @bwitt722.]

No comments:

Post a Comment